Dr. Md Fakhrul IslamProfessor
Department of Glass and Ceramic Engineering
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Phone No: 7477
Dr. Md. Fakhrul Islam obtained his PhD and MSc in Materials science from the University of Manchester-Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in 1995 and 1991, respectively and BSc in Metallurgical Engineering from BUET in 1986. He joined the department of Metallurgical Engineering at BUET as a lecturer in 1989 and became full Professor in 2005. Anticipating a major boom in the area of glass and ceramic engineering in the country, the government of Bangladesh established the department of Glass and Ceramic Engineering (GCE) at BUET in 2010 and appointed Prof. Fakhrul Islam as the head of the department. He served as the head of the department until 2017.
The Department of GCE, under his leadership, has so far risen more than BDT 30 crore of funding from various government agencies and established modern characterization and nano-synthesis laboratory to conduct research in various fields of glass and ceramic materials. Professor Islam took major initiatives to conduct collaborative research with some of the biggest industrial companies in the country such as Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corporation (BCIC), DBL Group, Shinepukur Ceramics, Nasir Glass etc.Research Interest:
Multiferroics, ferroelectric materials, engineering and traditional ceramics, refractories.
Ph.D. (Materials Science), University of Manchester-Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), UK, 1995
M. Sc. (Metallic and Ceramic Materials), University of Manchester-Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), UK, 1991
M. Sc. Engineering (Metallurgical), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 1986
B. Sc. Engineering (Metallurgical), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 1986
HEQEP - Ultra-light Weight Energy-saving Heat Insulating Ceramic Materials (2015-2018)
IBBL Bank - Refinement of locally available raw materials for ceramics industries (2002)
BRTC, BUET - Development of software to analyze microstructural imaged (Image Analyzer) (1996-97)
Professional Work at National and International Levels:
- Worked as a team leader to solve the problems of different organizations like China-Bangla Ceramic Industries Ltd., Ball Bearing importers, Plastic industries and R. A. K. Ceramics Ltd.,Nasir Glass Industries Limited and Bengal Glass Works Limited.
- Worked as an active member of the main group to solve the problems of different organizations like Tiende Ceramics Company Ltd., Bangladesh Titas Gas, Bangladesh Railway, Shinepukur Ceramics Ltd.
- Worked as a team leader to minimize the percentage of rejection of insulation products of Bangladesh Insulation and Sanitary-ware Factory (BISF), Dhaka.
- Mehedi Hasan, Md. Fakhrul Islam, Rubayyat Mahbub, Md. Sarowar Hossain, M.A. Hakim, "A soft chemical route to the synthesis of BiFeO3 nanoparticles with enhanced magnetization", Materials Research Bulletin 73 (2016) 179–186
- Mehedi Hasan, M. A. Hakim, M. A. Basith, Md. Sarowar Hossain, Bashir Ahmmad, M. A. Zubair, A. Hussain, and Md. Fakhrul Islam, "Size dependent magnetic and electrical properties of Ba-doped nanocrystalline BiFeO3", AIP Advances 6, 035314, 2016
- Mehedi Hasan, M.A. Basith, M.A. Zubair, Md. Sarowar Hossain, Rubayyat Mahbub, M.A. Hakim, Md. Fakhrul Islam, " Saturation magnetization and band gap tuning in BiFeO3 nanoparticles via co-substitution of Gd and Mn", Journal of Alloys and Compounds 687, 701-706, 2016.
- Md. Fakhrul Islam, Rubayyat Mahbub, Adnan Mousharraf, “Effect of sintering parameters and Ta 2 O 5 doping on the microstructure and dielectric properties of BaTiO 3 based ceramics”, in the proceedings of International Conference on Traditional and Advanced Ceramics, Bangkok, Thailand, 2013.
- Md. Fakhrul Islam, M.H. Rizvi, T.A. Khan, M. Hasanuzzaman, “Development of Ceramic Candle Filters by Slip Casting Process”, in the proceedings of International Conference on Traditional and Advanced Ceramics, Bangkok, Thailand, 2013.
- Rubayyat Mahbub, TakianFakhrul, Md. Fakhrul Islam et al., “Structural, Dielectric and Magnetic Properties of Ba-Doped Multiferroic Bismuth Ferrite”, Acta MetallurgicaSinica.
- R. Islam, M. A. Matin, R. Mahbub, M. A. Hakim, M. F. Islam, “Novel Smart Ferroelectric Functional Material for Application in Transducers”, in the proceedings of 16 th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference, (EPTC’ Dec-2014 by IEEE), Singapore.
- Rubayyat Mahbub, Md. FakhrulIslam , “Sintering behavior and microstructure development of Ba2+ doped BiFeO3”, Int. Jrnl. of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 2014, Vol. 3, 97-102.
- Adnan Mousharraf and Md. Fakhrul Islam, “Effect of Ta 2 O 5 doping on the microstructure and dielectric properties of BaTiO 3 based ceramics”, International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 7, page- 840-849, January-June 2013.
- Rubayyat Mahbub, Md. Sazzad Hossain, Md. FakhrulIsalam, “Structural Characteristics and Dielectric Properties of Tantalum Oxide Doped BaTiO3 Based Materials”, Materials Engineering - Materiálovéinžinierstvo Journal, 2013, Vol. 20, 45-54.